The chiefs of Clan Menzies used to have their seat at Comrie Castle on the south bank of the river Lyon three miles west along the strath, but it was destroyed by fire in 1487. Enough remains to show that this was a highly attractive little building and would amply reward a deep-pocketed restoration.

The Menzies family were Normans who came to England with William the Conqueror. The first recorded chief was at the Court of King Alexander II by 1224. He became Chamberlain of Scotland and received grants of property on the north side of Loch Rannoch and in Strathtay. Throughout their history the chiefs were loyal to the government of Scotland and dutifully changed their religion and their politics accordingly. Many of their neighbours were not so law abiding and the Menzieses often suffered. The charters of the chief were burned when Neil Stewart of Garth torched the new castle at Weem in 1502, and so obscurity fogs the earliest history of the family.

atholl_poi-castlemenzies

Raising the clan for the Jacobites

In 1745, Sir Robert Menzies's factor ignored his chief's commands and raised the clan for the Jacobites. The Menzies regiment joined up with the Atholl Brigade and was annihilated, but Sir Robert succeeded in obtaining compensation for the damage to his mansion caused by the government garrison. Although Sir Robert was no Jacobite his wife was, and Prince Charles stayed two nights in February 1746 during the retreat that finished at Culloden. The last resident chief, Sir Neil Menzies, died in 1910 but his lugubrious image still stares down from the walls of many local houses. He supplied a foot-square engraving of himself to each of his tenants and, on rent day, they found he had billed them for it.

Restoring the Castle

The castle was in a dire state when it was bought by the Clan Menzies Society in 1950 and it has been painstakingly restored. At its core is a fine Z-plan mansion built at a time when comfort was beginning to overtake the absolute priority of security for a gentleman's residence. Although it has gunports, the castle was never seriously attacked or defended. It was taken by Alexander Robertson of Struan in the Rising of 1715 when its garrison was carousing at the inn in Weem.

To keep up with the Breadalbanes, a Gothic wing was added to the Castle in 1848. A Jacobean wing was demolished during the restorations. The castle is in excellent heart and its sparse interior furnishings allow the visitor to see how such houses were constructed and used.

The Wade House adjacent to the Weem Hotel, which may reopen as an excellent coffee stop just along the road, is a typical example of a laird's house of the eighteenth century. These are uncommon since most were razed and replaced by grand mansions, buried in the midst of Victorian and Edwardian extensions, or burned by government troops after the '45.

 

Loch Rannoch Rannoch

Rannoch

The village of Kinloch Rannoch was created in the period after the '45. It is a nomenclatural oddity.

More
queensview Strathtummel

Strathtummel

Situated in the central part of Scotland, Strathtummel is within easy reach of highland Perthshire, home to historical sites and

More
Ballechin Ballechin

Ballechin

Along the north face of the strath between Logierait and Aberfeldy are eleven estates whose boundaries have been largely unchanged

More
Struan Kirk Struan Walk

Struan Walk

Early Medieval Landscape of Struan

More
Pitlochry_AdobeStock Pitlochry

Pitlochry

Pitlochry has kept pace with the times. Thousands come from all over the world to make this one of the most important stops on the

More
aberfeldy area Tomtayewan

Tomtayewan

In the 1860s, its inhabitants had become depraved save for one 'Virtuous Man'.

More
atholl_poi-stmarys St Mary's Chapel

St Mary's Chapel

St Mary's Chapel in Grantully near Aberfeldy with a magnificent 1600s painted ceiling

More
Taymouth Castle Taymouth Castle

Taymouth Castle

The spectacular Gothic edifice of Taymouth Castle is one of the grandest buildings in Scotland. Most was completed in 1807 by

More
Breadalbane Breadalbane

Breadalbane

Much of what is now called Breadalbane used to be in Atholl but the incoming Campbells of Glenorchy took the name as the title of

More
Logierait Logierait

Logierait

The rivers once played a large part in the life of the locality.

More
Weem Weem

Weem

The name comes from the word 'uamh' in Gaelic which means cave. The caves are in the wooded crags above the village

More
Fortingall Fortingall

Fortingall

Recently crop marks have been observed much closer to the village and, although confirmation is still needed, they show signs of b

More
Photo for Website - Dunalastair Water and Shiehallion Dunalastair

Dunalastair

Dunalastair and the estate is home to rare wildlife of Perthshire with offers scenic strolls around famous gardens

More
Stone Bridge Inver_AdobeStock_2949635 Inver

Inver

Beautiful walking paths through ancient forests to the pine cone look out.

More
Camserney Camserney

Camserney

An old crofting village, enriched with traditional thatched cottages

More
Adobe Stock Pitlochry Scotland's Heartland

Scotland's Heartland

Some appreciate Highland Perthshire as no more than one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland.

More
Dunkeld Cathedral_AdobeStock_141121692 Strathbraan & Dunkeld

Strathbraan & Dunkeld

Dunkeld and its cathedral were saved by the Dukes of Atholl. They were the law across 500 square miles of the Highl

More
Ben Lawers AdobeStock_150576309 Ben Lawers and Drummond Hill

Ben Lawers and Drummond Hill

In the last few summers, Glasgow University archeologists have been exploring the mountain and have discovered t

More
atholl_poi-garth Garth Castle

Garth Castle

Once fortifications would have covered the site of Garth Castle but now only the central keep remains

More
Crannog_AdobeStock_208255929 (1) Loch Tay

Loch Tay

This, Scotland's sixth biggest loch, covers six and half thousand acres in its 14 miles between Kenmore and Killin. For thousan

More
atholl_poi-lyon Glen Lyon

Glen Lyon

The Glen was once home to over a thousand folk and on one of the best trodden thoroughfares between the western Highlands and the E

More
Keltneyburn Keltneyburn

Keltneyburn

The statue to David Stewart of Garth, erected by the Stewart Society in 1925, in the uniform of a Black Watch captain

More
Croft Moraig_AdobeStock_126533789 Croft Moraig

Croft Moraig

The double stone circle of Mary's Croft, an impressive standing stone monument in highland Perthshire

More
Killiecrankie_AdobeStock_395268326 Killiecrankie

Killiecrankie

The battle was at the start of the chaotic Highland War

More
atholl_poi-dull Dull

Dull

Dull village history dates back to the Neolithic ear and is linked to Clan Donnachaidh

More
Blair Atholl Castle_AdobeStock_66411012 Blair Atholl

Blair Atholl

Discover the history behind Blair Atholl

More
Aberfeldy Bridge_AdobeStock_245940489 Aberfeldy

Aberfeldy

Aberfeldy is what used to be called a thriving market town. The market has long closed but the town still thrives.

More
Bruar Adobe Stock Bruar

Bruar

The site of the clan centre at Bruar is at the base of one of those spectacular gorges carved through soft rock by a burn in spate

More
Shierglas Shierglas

Shierglas

The history behind Shierglas Quarry - Set back the busy A9 road, connecting the south and north of Scotland.

More
RannochSchiehallion_AdobeStock_233375482 (1) Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Like an island, the peak of Schiehallion stood above the ice. The millennia of frost left the shattered boulders and scree that

More
The Hermitage_AdobeStock_90617968 The Hermitage

The Hermitage

The building contained a chandelier and its walls were lined with mirrors reflecting the falls of turbulent river which was int

More
Grandtully Grandtully

Grandtully

The castle, in private hands, dates from the late 1600s but doubled in size early this century.

More