Rannoch
The village of Kinloch Rannoch was created in the period after the '45. It is a nomenclatural oddity.
MoreThis little backwater of Inver, is on the main road south was where coaches changed their horses.
A carriage accident here in 1854 killed Count Rohenstart, the last documented descendant of Bonnie Prince Charlie, who is buried in the cathedral.
Inver was home to Niel Gow. After the Rising he was appointed fiddler to the duke of Atholl and became the towering giant of his art, lionised by the nation. Along with his brother and sons he formed an ensemble which played balls in great houses throughout Britain and his music and his style are at the heart of Scottish dance music. Raeburn painted him four times. Great men, including Robert Burns, would make his cottage in the square a stop on their Highland progress. It was a rare sprig of any great Scots family that did not have a jig, reel, or strathspey named after him by Gow. His son Nathaniel played for George IV in 1822. The king proposed a banally flattering toast which quite overcame the player. He was heard to utter the words 'I'm perfectly content to die now!'
Charles McIntosh was another great exponent of the fiddle, but his life changed after he lost his fiddling fingers in a saw mill accident. He became a postman and for thirty years he walked the strath between Dunkeld and Ballinluig delivering and collecting mail. He became expert on the rich flora and fauna, discovered new kinds of fern, moss, and lichen, listed all the birds he saw, and contributed to scientific journals.
North from Dunkeld the next great strath branching off the route of the A9 is impossible to miss. The first broad sweep of haughland that opens out after crossing the Tay leads straight towards a wooded hillside. Here the Tummel joins the Tay which itself heads west towards its source in Loch Tay. Ballinluig is a hamlet that grew to cater for the railway junction. From here a little branch line used to wind down the strath to Aberfeldy. For a hundred years it carried livestock, seed potatoes, children to school and, from a quarry above Aberfeldy, loads of roadstone which used to swing two miles down the hillside to the station on buckets suspended from an aerial ropeway.
The village of Kinloch Rannoch was created in the period after the '45. It is a nomenclatural oddity.
MoreSituated in the central part of Scotland, Strathtummel is within easy reach of highland Perthshire, home to historical sites and
MoreAlong the north face of the strath between Logierait and Aberfeldy are eleven estates whose boundaries have been largely unchanged
MorePitlochry has kept pace with the times. Thousands come from all over the world to make this one of the most important stops on the
MoreSt Mary's Chapel in Grantully near Aberfeldy with a magnificent 1600s painted ceiling
MoreThe spectacular Gothic edifice of Taymouth Castle is one of the grandest buildings in Scotland. Most was completed in 1807 by
MoreMuch of what is now called Breadalbane used to be in Atholl but the incoming Campbells of Glenorchy took the name as the title of
MoreThe name comes from the word 'uamh' in Gaelic which means cave. The caves are in the wooded crags above the village
MoreRecently crop marks have been observed much closer to the village and, although confirmation is still needed, they show signs of b
MoreDunalastair and the estate is home to rare wildlife of Perthshire with offers scenic strolls around famous gardens
MoreSome appreciate Highland Perthshire as no more than one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland.
MoreThe chiefs of Clan Menzies used to have their seat at Comrie Castle on the south bank of the river Lyon
MoreDunkeld and its cathedral were saved by the Dukes of Atholl. They were the law across 500 square miles of the Highl
MoreIn the last few summers, Glasgow University archeologists have been exploring the mountain and have discovered t
MoreOnce fortifications would have covered the site of Garth Castle but now only the central keep remains
MoreThis, Scotland's sixth biggest loch, covers six and half thousand acres in its 14 miles between Kenmore and Killin. For thousan
MoreThe Glen was once home to over a thousand folk and on one of the best trodden thoroughfares between the western Highlands and the E
MoreThe statue to David Stewart of Garth, erected by the Stewart Society in 1925, in the uniform of a Black Watch captain
MoreThe double stone circle of Mary's Croft, an impressive standing stone monument in highland Perthshire
MoreAberfeldy is what used to be called a thriving market town. The market has long closed but the town still thrives.
MoreThe site of the clan centre at Bruar is at the base of one of those spectacular gorges carved through soft rock by a burn in spate
MoreThe history behind Shierglas Quarry - Set back the busy A9 road, connecting the south and north of Scotland.
MoreLike an island, the peak of Schiehallion stood above the ice. The millennia of frost left the shattered boulders and scree that
MoreThe building contained a chandelier and its walls were lined with mirrors reflecting the falls of turbulent river which was int
MoreThe castle, in private hands, dates from the late 1600s but doubled in size early this century.
More