For most of its history Pitlochry was no more than a cluster of farming townships like hundreds of others in Atholl. Under the ownership of the Butter family, government supporters who prospered after the '45 and are one of the tiny handful of old lairds who have managed to preserve their estates up to the present, they dozed peacefully away under the shadow of the local metropolis Moulin with its inn and the parish church. This lay up the hill on the junction of the road north - which then kept above the boggy plain - and the route across to Strathardle. Then General Wade built his highway across the haughland and the little clachans at the new junction of his road from Dunkeld to Dalnacardoch overtook Moulin which has spent the last three hundred years as a tranquil backwater.
Wade's road was a great improvement on what it replaced but was still little better than the most primitive farm track today. The campaigning season was summer and so it did not matter too much what happened to the road in winter. The Duke of Atholl once took sixteen hours to cover the distance from his castle at Blair to his mansion house at Dunkeld in his sedan chair.
By the early nineteenth century stage coaches were regularly plying the newly macadamised road north and Pitlochry was one of the most accessible places to capitalise on the new, royally patronised, interest in the Highlands. The aristocracy tramped the heather in search of deer or grouse. The new bourgeoisie holidayed in Fisher's Hotel which was soon joined by other establishments built to cater for the demand. The deep breathing of pure Highland air, an excellent medical service, fishing, invigorating walks, and the Hydro soon gained the town a reputation as a health resort. It was already thriving when the railway arrived in 1863.
Pitlochry has kept pace with the times. Thousands come from all over the world to make this one of the most important stops on the Highland Trail. The Festival Theatre is a centre for cultural activities. In the main street is Heartland FM, a radio station run by volunteers which broadcasts to the straths of Highland Perthshire. It is a fine example of the spirit of community that still exists in Atholl. Few radio stations manage to thread their signal through these hills and so the natives began their own. Broadcasting as much speech as music, it is considered to be the notice board for the "straths".
MoreThe village of Kinloch Rannoch was created in the period after the '45. It is a nomenclatural oddity.
MoreSituated in the central part of Scotland, Strathtummel is within easy reach of highland Perthshire, home to historical sites and
MoreAlong the north face of the strath between Logierait and Aberfeldy are eleven estates whose boundaries have been largely unchanged
MoreThe film location of the fictional stone circle called Craigh na Dun, where Claire travels back in time.
MoreSt Mary's Chapel in Grantully near Aberfeldy with a magnificent 1600s painted ceiling
MoreThe spectacular Gothic edifice of Taymouth Castle is one of the grandest buildings in Scotland. Most was completed in 1807 by
MoreMuch of what is now called Breadalbane used to be in Atholl but the incoming Campbells of Glenorchy took the name as the title of
MoreThe name comes from the word 'uamh' in Gaelic which means cave. The caves are in the wooded crags above the village
MoreRecently crop marks have been observed much closer to the village and, although confirmation is still needed, they show signs of b
MoreDunalastair and the estate is home to rare wildlife of Perthshire with offers scenic strolls around famous gardens
MoreSome appreciate Highland Perthshire as no more than one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland.
MoreThe chiefs of Clan Menzies used to have their seat at Comrie Castle on the south bank of the river Lyon
MoreDunkeld and its cathedral were saved by the Dukes of Atholl. They were the law across 500 square miles of the Highl
MoreIn the last few summers, Glasgow University archeologists have been exploring the mountain and have discovered t
MoreOnce fortifications would have covered the site of Garth Castle but now only the central keep remains
MoreThis, Scotland's sixth biggest loch, covers six and half thousand acres in its 14 miles between Kenmore and Killin. For thousan
MoreThe Glen was once home to over a thousand folk and on one of the best trodden thoroughfares between the western Highlands and the E
MoreThe statue to David Stewart of Garth, erected by the Stewart Society in 1925, in the uniform of a Black Watch captain
MoreThe double stone circle of Mary's Croft, an impressive standing stone monument in highland Perthshire
MoreAberfeldy is what used to be called a thriving market town. The market has long closed but the town still thrives.
MoreThe site of the clan centre at Bruar is at the base of one of those spectacular gorges carved through soft rock by a burn in spate
MoreThe history behind Shierglas Quarry - Set back the busy A9 road, connecting the south and north of Scotland.
MoreLike an island, the peak of Schiehallion stood above the ice. The millennia of frost left the shattered boulders and scree that
MoreThe building contained a chandelier and its walls were lined with mirrors reflecting the falls of turbulent river which was int
MoreThe castle, in private hands, dates from the late 1600s but doubled in size early this century.
More