The spectacular Gothic edifice that is Taymouth Casthle is one of the grandest buildings in Scotland. Most was completed in 1807 by the first marquis and his successor added the west wing in time for Queen Victoria's visit in 1842. In 1819, 1238 Breadalbane tenants paraded dressed as pantomime Highland warriors to greet Prince Leopold, later King of the Belgians. They mustered again to welcome Victoria and her husband. The royal couple, who processed down the loch in a fleet of barges watched by thousands of spectators, were so enraptured by the beauties of the Highlands and the mighty thighs of the kilted Highlanders who danced for them at Taymouth and Blair that they bought Balmoral.
On the Queen's visit, the marquis was rather upset to find only 200 tenants answering his summons to come and play soldier rather than the multitudes of twenty years earlier. It was explained to him that they had gone, replaced on his instruction by sheep which yielded a better income for him than the rents of the people. The marquis had cleared Glen Quaich just over the crest of the ridge to the south, both sides of the loch and behind Drummond Hill. Some people left for the factories of Glasgow, others emigrated to America and Australia. Now this country and the hills surrounding it are scattered with scores of sad ruins marking the little settlements from which they were expelled.
The Breadalbanes, brought down by extravagance and gambling debts, sold most of the estate in 1922 and the last fragments in 1948. The earldom is now dormant with a couple of enterprising Campbells trying to claim it. Their elephantine seat has since been a hotel, a school, a hospital, and government establishment.
Taymouth Castle is currently under development by Taymouth Castle Estate Residences Ltd.
The village of Kinloch Rannoch was created in the period after the '45. It is a nomenclatural oddity.
MoreSituated in the central part of Scotland, Strathtummel is within easy reach of highland Perthshire, home to historical sites and
MoreAlong the north face of the strath between Logierait and Aberfeldy are eleven estates whose boundaries have been largely unchanged
MoreThe film location of the fictional stone circle called Craigh na Dun, where Claire travels back in time.
MorePitlochry has kept pace with the times. Thousands come from all over the world to make this one of the most important stops on the
MoreSt Mary's Chapel in Grantully near Aberfeldy with a magnificent 1600s painted ceiling
MoreMuch of what is now called Breadalbane used to be in Atholl but the incoming Campbells of Glenorchy took the name as the title of
MoreThe name comes from the word 'uamh' in Gaelic which means cave. The caves are in the wooded crags above the village
MoreRecently crop marks have been observed much closer to the village and, although confirmation is still needed, they show signs of b
MoreDunalastair and the estate is home to rare wildlife of Perthshire with offers scenic strolls around famous gardens
MoreSome appreciate Highland Perthshire as no more than one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland.
MoreThe chiefs of Clan Menzies used to have their seat at Comrie Castle on the south bank of the river Lyon
MoreDunkeld and its cathedral were saved by the Dukes of Atholl. They were the law across 500 square miles of the Highl
MoreIn the last few summers, Glasgow University archeologists have been exploring the mountain and have discovered t
MoreOnce fortifications would have covered the site of Garth Castle but now only the central keep remains
MoreThis, Scotland's sixth biggest loch, covers six and half thousand acres in its 14 miles between Kenmore and Killin. For thousan
MoreThe Glen was once home to over a thousand folk and on one of the best trodden thoroughfares between the western Highlands and the E
MoreThe statue to David Stewart of Garth, erected by the Stewart Society in 1925, in the uniform of a Black Watch captain
MoreThe double stone circle of Mary's Croft, an impressive standing stone monument in highland Perthshire
MoreAberfeldy is what used to be called a thriving market town. The market has long closed but the town still thrives.
MoreThe site of the clan centre at Bruar is at the base of one of those spectacular gorges carved through soft rock by a burn in spate
MoreThe history behind Shierglas Quarry - Set back the busy A9 road, connecting the south and north of Scotland.
MoreLike an island, the peak of Schiehallion stood above the ice. The millennia of frost left the shattered boulders and scree that
MoreThe building contained a chandelier and its walls were lined with mirrors reflecting the falls of turbulent river which was int
MoreThe castle, in private hands, dates from the late 1600s but doubled in size early this century.
More